Friday, October 5, 2012

What will I be??

'So going forward, are you looking at raising funds? Will you be taking the IPO(Initial public offering) route or PE(private equity) investment route?....What is the investment per unit? ..What is the CAPex? Break-even time period would be? ....'

Picture myself, a year ago: I would have been doodling away on a virtual notepad in my mind, while all of these 'finance' jargons would have been darting in the room, in which I would be sitting. I would count every tick-tock of that wrist-watch on my hand; get fascinated by the bubbles rising in that glass of water placed in front of me; made note of all the facial quirks of  the people talking; and in my head , rebuked at every grammatical error in what every body said or typed. Mounted on a high horse of content, I would be smirking at all sitting in the room, pitying them for the lack luster of their lives; wondering how so very boring these people must be in their ambitions in life.

While in fact, the truth of the matter would be very simple; NONE, of what was being said would have made sense to me. And quite so, not because the subject or the people dealing with the subject were beyond figments of comprehension, but only because...well,I would not have had the capacity to understand, relate and deduce.

Interestingly, that has changed over the past two years. What I initially, begun by considering the 'ick' part of my job, has now become that very thing that I look forward to. As a communications personnel, my very job requires me to be capable of situational adaptation. But, sitting in an investor meet for hours on end yesterday, I could actually (A.C.T.U.A.L.L.Y ) understand what was being said; I had remarks of my own, I could opine. In the recent past, working on corporate FAQs and preparing for presentations for the board of directors, etc, board meetings, monthly reviews and annual plans, attending business conclaves, has taught me not just about world-economics, but something important about IDEAS. 

See, the thing about IDEA is that there is no great or average to an idea. It just is. It's independent of  right or wrong; it's not about how much you scored on that test; how fortunate you were born; or where you work. It's about 'what' do you do about it!  All of us have Ideas; but some have the courage to follow it and some let it sit like an un-used battery; had it been used it would have fueled some gadget and who knows it could have been useful. 

Once in a while, I hit up on something on the net or read about it in papers and magazines; that someone, somewhere has come up with this brilliant IDEA which is now taking over millions. Somebody, I used to know, today is doing what she always talked about and she is creating something beautiful. I am sure, when they started off, the world may have laughed them off; there may have been no validity to what they were doing. The whole 'Gangnam' rage; what's with that?! It's funny, but, it's endearing in it's own way! More importantly, he is FAMOUS. 

I see musical prodigies around me; I am filled with wonder and wish fullness.  Sure  they were born with a natural talent, but I think everybody has one: the only difference is they were STRONG, and now they are famous. They have honed their skills and now they will only do what they love, what they know, and be great at it! They did not wait around for 'chance' or 'opportunity' to come pick them in their limo!

Sure, today, I wish I could be an investment banker! I think it's something I would have grown to love...I wish I had done something about my music...

My take from this; tomorrow, when I  meet an investment banker, I will be in awe of their job and respect them, also knowing that I am at a vantage point from where I appreciate their work, probably more than they do; and I get to do my own  investment banking by means of my work and personal finances *grins*! I am happy making musicians  famous; I am sure there is as much a demand for an 'audience' as is there for a talent! It's important too! ;-) 

So, "What will I be?"...A Billionaire! Hey! That's my IDEA! :-D 


Here's to two great ideas, Facebook and Dualist Inquiry

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. My inspiration; exactly (only for the Title)...the thought is "Get an IDEA; follow it through!"

      Delete
  2. when will you write about me? like hello?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it; I shall...should be funnnn :-P

      Delete