Thursday, March 5, 2015

#BANWOMEN

We are no strangers to unconstitutional court-rooms, where decisions for a society are taken behind closed doors, without the members of the said society having any actual say in it. For most part, we are responsible for it because we do not care. So long as our doors are safe, we believe so is everything and choose to remain blind.  

But that changed in 2012, for India. Nirbhaya did not allow Rape to be filed as a backyard alley incident anymore; her story did not simmer down. Matters were no longer relegated to lengthy debates. A country, and its men and women marched the streets and showed a solidarity, a united front in the face of moral depravity. You may have heard in the recent news of a certain British filmmaker Leslee Udwin’s film, India’s Daughter.  But you will not watch this documentary. Why you ask? Because the BBC’s broadcast in India has been “unceremoniously silenced”. If anything rumours are brew that she is sought by the home ministry who plans to take legal actions. Comments go as, “The government condemns it. It will not allow any organisation to leverage such an incident (the gang rape).”


The fore-runners of our country's government seem to have taken to this film with great displeasure, ‘horror and shock’, so it seems. While, there is an ongoing debate on who granted the No-Objection certificate /permission for the film (Mr. Shinde denies involvement), I am more interested in how the Judiciary seems to be handing out injunctions like the Independence flag. Today, a Ban is easier to get than drinking water. Which then, leads me to believe that perhaps, an easier solution to this volatile state of affairs is to BAN the root cause of all this problem - The Women! #BanWomen. Because, certainly there is nothing wrong with Culture that raises Men to think that they are the masters. And obviously there is nothing wrong with the three-tiered system- Legislative, Judiciary and Executive that encourages this degressive thought-seed.  Please pardon if I hurt a ‘collective sentiment’; I do not wish to be banned, but I am quite frankly agitated.
And as an excellent exhibit of how un-yielding any amount of national discourse is, Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Wednesday had vowed that the government will not allow the telecast of the film - #IndiasDaughter, ‘under any circumstances’ in the country. “As soon as I got to know about this, I felt an unhappiness within and I immediately called up the concerned officials… Even before I got the information, I had said that this documentary should not be broadcast under any circumstances — be it on web portals, print media or electronic media,” said Singh on Wednesday. (Indian Express, March 5th )

Surely, Sir, you don't think this is an imaginary monster, who if you shut your eyes, will go away? 'Defaming' is not so much the same as showing your dirty laundry. The commission of the crime, is by nature defacto to the premise of the film- or do you deny that the incident happened at all. 
Narrating an incident, as is, with the patrol of voluntary speech is not the same as instigating political turmoil by manipulating religious sentiments. Need I refresh your memory to the more recent demonstration of an absolutely undemocratic verdict - Banning of Beef in Maharashtra. Again, no news of minorities (strictly speaking, it’s my personal opinion).  Do not think, that the country is dumb enough not to notice insinuations. The jury can paint whatever facade on it- Animal protection, safeguarding, et al. But with wide-spread crimes such as Terrorism, Women's safety issues, human trafficking, civil wars, inflation, corruption, poverty, education, economic duress, to so much as upliftment of living standards in your armed forces, I will not accept the precedence of bovine affairs before these time-sensitive and imperial concerns. Sorry, call me selfish, but I am one of those who believes that Human lives are valuable. And yes 'more' valuable, god may strike me!

        By #Thomas

You'd be wise to note that your grounds of securing this injunction could be a misinformed choice. There are more personal benefits I can count, and along with me a literate population of Indian women- who you seem to have conveniently buried under the hatchet. If nothing, this film could be a tool for gender sensitization, social experiments with observations in controlled environments, and so much more. 

I could be wrong. I could be ignorant of how diplomacy works or how science works.

Could this documentary be sensitive? Yes. Can this be issued in layered stages within monitored public domains? Perhaps, yes. But a complete Ban on the film?! Un-necessary. And if you think it is, you need to reason with logic as to why. Why this sealing? What monstrosity are you fearing that hasn't already been committed? In doing so, you have only affirmed an already ongoing fear- that our country is not only incapable of protecting us, its women, but is also Ashamed of Us.  Is Sanjay Hegde right to say so (and God Bless the man for his sensitivity). Are you then? Because by not telling our story, you are mollycoddling this country's people, who desperately need to hear it straight from the horse's mouth- harsh as it is. The more I see it, it's worse than rape. You are leaving us bereft of redeemable virtues- which I feel is the intention at heart of this bold, bold film. 

And while you are moving heaven and earth to ensure that this film doesn't see the light of day, this Man and many like him, continue to believe, "We have the best culture. In our culture there is no place for women."- M.L. Sharma, defence lawyer for the rapists in the Nirbhaya case.

I can't speak for you sir, but I do believe that a Few Good Men can bring the change. For myself, I refuse to wallow in the shadows.

We will not be able to sway your decision to ban the film; having said that, it will still be watched by the world. But, what A.P. Singh has said, and what M.L. Sharma has said is defaming my Grandmother, My Mother, My Sisters, My Friends, My Colleagues, My Country and My Gender and I demand an injunction on his ‘freedom of expression’.


It is critical, we know - Does the government condemn him or not? Will you BAN HIM from thinking or will you not? !  

No comments:

Post a Comment